|phone|| (919) 942-5200
(800) 458-2541 (Toll Free)
|location||Chapel Hill Office|
Chris grew up in Raleigh and attended UNC for his undergraduate and law degrees. At Carolina Law, he was managing editor of the North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation and director of the Pro Bono Program. From 2007 to 2011, Chris served as an adjunct professor at Carolina Law.
Chris first practiced in the Raleigh office of Cranfill, Sumner & Hartzog. He then worked as a staff attorney at the Southern Coalition for Social Justice in Durham. From 2012 to 2019, Chris was the legal director of the ACLU-NC. Governor Roy Cooper appointed him to the North Carolina Court of Appeals in 2019, on which he served through the end of 2020.
Chris has received numerous recognitions for his contributions to the legal profession in the state. He was inducted into the James E. and Carolyn B. Davis Society upon his graduation from Carolina Law and was subsequently honored as the school’s Outstanding Recent Graduate. In 2016, the North Carolina Association of Women attorneys awarded him the Gwyneth B. David Public Service Award. Chris was recognized with the North Carolina Justice Center’s Defender of Justice Litigation Award in 2017.
Chris is active in the community in his time away from the firm, currently serving as the Chair of the Board of Transplanting Traditions Community Farm.
Areas of Practice:
- Appellate Advocacy
- Civil Rights
- Employment Law
- North Carolina, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2012
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2014
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, J.D., 2005
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, B.A., 2002
- Transplanting Traditions Community Farm, Board of Directors, 2018-present, Board Chair, 2020-present
- Orange County Partnership for Young Children, Board of Directors, 2014-2019, Board Chair, 2017-2019
- Compass Center for Women and Families, Attorney Volunteer, 2012-2019
- El Centro Hispano, Housing Law Clinic Founder and Volunteer, 2010-2014
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, member
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Civil Rights Section, member
- North Carolina Bar Association, member
- North Carolina Bar Association Constitutional Rights and Responsibilities Section, member, Treasurer, 2017-2018, Vice Chair, 2018-2019, Chair, 2019-2020
- Wake Car Bar Association, member